Thursday, February 5, 2015

Gluten-Free Pretzel Coated Chicken Bites:




The combination of the seemingly endless winter and writing about the complete shit-show that is American politics has given me a serious case of the blues. I figure that one way to combat this is to take a break and share a new recipe. I’m not a gourmet by any stretch of the imagination, but I do enjoy tinkering around in the kitchen. This is a recipe that I came up one day when a bit of inspiration struck me.

I know that gluten-free dieters finally have access to things like breaded chicken tenders, but so far I haven’t really found any that I’m crazy about. I came up with this idea when I realized that if you crushed up a bag of gluten free pretzels, they would make a decent batch of bread crumbs. This isn’t really a replacement for the deep fried nuggets that I grew up with, but I think it turned out pretty well.

Ingredients:

-3 chicken breasts cut into medium sized pieces 

-1 bag of gluten-free pretzels crushed (I used the bowtie variety, but I think that pretzel rods would actually work better. Also the Live-G Free pretzels at ALDI are really reasonably priced, especially compared with other gluten-free bread crumbs or attempting to make them yourself from a loaf of gluten free bread) 
-1 cup of Greek yogurt with honey
-2 TBS of yellow mustard
-2 TPS of Lawry’s Seasoning Salt

Crush a bag of gluten-free pretzels (I’ve found that placing them in a freezer bag first works pretty well). Coat cut chicken pieces with mixture of yogurt, mustard, and seasoning salt. Place coated chicken pieces into the freezer bag of crushed pretzels and shake until chicken is covered with pretzel coating. Cover a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Place chicken pieces on cookie sheet and bake for 30 minutes at 425 degrees. I’ve found that the chicken pieces go really well with a honey mustard dipping sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment