Friday, January 30, 2015

Return to TV Land




I’m going to take a short break from political writing and do my version of the happy dance. Wednesday night (Thank you, DVR) marked the return of FX’s critically acclaimed drama The Americans. Honestly, this is probably my favorite show on television right now, and when coupled with offerings like Justified and American Horror Story, I think it’s safe to say that Chuck Saftler’s crew at FX has successfully redefined what a show on broadcast cable can be. 


While The Americans hasn’t garnered the type of ratings that other juggernauts of television’s renaissance have attained, I would stack up its storytelling, acting, and production values with anything else out there. Also, Keri Russell has managed to effectively shed any of her remaining delicate flower baggage remaining from her stint as Felicity and stake a serious claim to being one of, if not the, most badass woman on television. It’s not the type of show that you can just drop into, but I would seriously recommend grabbing the first two seasons on DVD and playing some catch-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment