Saturday, January 3, 2015

Winter Hibernation Guide Part 1



Growing up I was never a very much of a television person. I watched sporting events and would have it on as background noise, but my lifestyle just didn’t fit with the concept of appointment television. College and grad school was more of the same; professors weren’t very concerned with whether or not a show had its season finale when assigning term papers and exams. My relationship with television changed after I became a caregiver, both professionally and for members of my own family. My on-the-run lifestyle was replaced with long periods of being sedentary (punctuated of course with moments of sheer terror, but that’s a story for another time), and television is perfectly designed for long periods of killing time. Also, the seemingly never-ending stream of horrible news in the world (both far and close to home) has resulted in a sharp decline in my news junkie tendencies, and a strong desire to engage in a bit of escapism. Luckily, my immersion into the land of commercialized make-believe coincided with the airing of some really good programming. I’ve still managed to miss out on some of the shows that everybody (read: upper-middle class types) tells me are the best thing ever (So please no Mad Men, True Detective, The Wire, or Boardwalk Empire spoilers), but I have found some shows that I actually look forward to every week (the advent of dvr’s and on-demand television have definitely helped contribute to this, but I don’t want to shortchange my library card’s ability to let me play catch-up on some of the shows that I missed out on while I was busy cranking out term papers and PowerPoint presentations). So with the cold grip of winter upon us, and the end of most shows’ holiday hiatus, I wanted to give you a quick run-down of a few of the shows (both continuing and newly airing)  that I hope will get me through until the first pitch of opening day, or at least until pitchers and catchers report. I’ll start with the new shows, followed by continuing series in a part 2 posting. (You may notice that this entry is a bit heavy on the comedy. That’s actually not unintentional, given the flame out rate of network situation comedies and the heaviness of the of the shows that are returning from the Fall or starting a new season that I plan on continuing to watch, the inclination to load up on potential palette cleansers seems wise.)

Galavant: (ABC Sunday 8:00) Starting January 4th
Shortly after the first round of the NFL playoffs conclude on Sunday, ABC will air the first episode of its four-part series, Galavant. Billed as a hybrid of The Princess Bride and a light hearted musical (you had me at Princess Bride), the show promises plenty of guest spots from celebrities like Ricky Gervais, Weird Al Yankovic (this show sounds like it’s perfectly tailored to the musical funny-man’s talents) and John Stamos. Even if the show isn’t exactly breaking new creative ground, a live-action Shrek, with attractive lead characters (played by Joshua Sasse and Karen David) isn’t the worst way to spend a few Sunday nights in the middle of a long cold winter.     

Agent Carter (ABC Tuesday January 6th 2 hour premier 8:00, 9:00 afterwards)   
Hayley Atwell reprises her role from Marvel’s Captain America movies, and ABC is promoting the character as continuing in the lineage of other take-no-prisoners female lead characters (Sydney Bristo and Olivia Pope) that the network has found success with. I’m really excited for this limited-run series, partly because the Captain America movies are (in my opinion) the best of the Marvel movies, and a show set in that corner of their universe could be really enjoyable. I’ll admit to jumping early from Agents of Shield (too early if the articles I’ve read are true, something I might address this summer, perhaps), but hopefully Team Marvel has worked the kinks out of their television operation. I’ve heard rumblings that the Howard Stark character will play a prominent role, and as a fan of the Iron Man series of comic books and the first two films (I hated Iron Man 3, and if you disagree you’re just wrong) anything that gives me Stark-related backstory is too juicy to pass up.

Younger (TV Land Tuesday 10:00) Starting January 13th
Tony Award winner Sutton Foster stars in a series from Sex and the City producer Darren Star about a 40 year old newly single mother that has to pass herself off as 26 in order to land an entry level gig. I’m mostly interested due to the inclusion of the always spectacular Debi Mazar as Sutton’s best friend, and for any potential age-defying techniques that I might pick up as I approach my seventh 29th birthday.

Fresh Off the Boat (ABC Wednesday 8:00) Starting February 4th
For some reason this show comes off as a Blackish, but for Asian Americans. (Maybe it has something to do with ABC’s tendency to plug the show multiple times during its commercial breaks.) The show, which premiers February 4, is based on a memoir by Chef Eddie Huang, who also provides voice-over work. The involvement of the original work’s author should hopefully help the series avoid falling into some type of self-parody of a network’s attempt at diversity. Also, the success of Blackish (a rare bright spot in a fall lineup littered with new comedies that couldn’t make it to November without being cancelled) suggests that ABC might have the skill to pull this project off.

Better Call Saul (AMC Sunday 10:00) Starting February 8th 

Breaking Bad is/was one of those much talked about shows that I managed to completely miss while I was pulling all-nighters in the library stacks. Better Call Saul is a prequel of sorts, following the exploits of lawyer Saul Goodman (played by Bob Odenkirk). The fact that this is a prequel and would allow me a way to jump into this universe (presumably) without risking spoilers is a real selling point. (I plan on playing catch-up with Breaking Bad at some point, even with having an idea as to the fate of some of the characters, the show’s good press is too much to ignore.)

12 Monkeys (SyFy Friday 9:00) Starting January 16th 

A television remake of the incomparable Terry Gilliam’s 1995 movie of the same name is a tall order, and time travel is incredibly difficult narrative device to pull off, but I’m interested (in a morbidly curious way, if nothing else) to see what can come from the attempt. A quick IMDB check unfortunately didn’t turn up a Jeffery Goins character (played by Brad Pitt in the film version) so we may be robbed of/blessed by the opportunity to watch someone attempt to recreate Pitt’s twitchy over-the-top performance. I can’t say that I’m overly optimistic that I’ll stick with the show for the entire season, but I’ll definitely be checking it out just to see what they can come up with.

2 comments:

  1. When I was younger I watched TV all the time. 9 years ago when I purchased my house it was the end of my television days, I couldn't afford cable and a house payment. I purchased an antenna and the television was mostly turned on when my son wanted to watch something. When I would sit down and watch a program, I found myself turned off by the choices of programming (which were very little with antenna), what was on the news station or even the commercials I was forced to sit through until my show returned. I drifted more to reading. A year ago I purchased a Netflix account and I have to say it has brought my reading to a minimum. I have found that over the years I had missed out on some good shows. I love documentaries, no matter the subject and Netflix has a wide selection which I have spent many hours watching when I probably should have been doing something more productive around the house. At least I can say "no, the dishes are not done but I just spent 2 hours educating myself." I enjoy the fact that there are no commercials and no news. I can't remember the last time I watched the news. I rather read the Sunday paper or check the news on line so I can choose what I want to know about and limit my intake of sad news stories.

    Breaking Bad was one of my first series I watched on Netflix. The series started out a bit slow for me and I found myself wondering why everyone thought the show was so great. After a few episodes I found myself immersed in the show and the marathon watching began, night after night until I had watched every episode. I am definitely interested in "Better Call Saul". I will be awaiting an update on if you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the days of "rabbit ear" television. If it wasn't for the aluminum foil, I wouldn't have been able to tune in anything at all. Currently, I check out Netflix occasionally, but watching it on a laptop isn't great for sharing the screen with more than one person, and since I'm still using what may be the last tube television in existence, it really isn't feasible to run the computer through the t.v.

    I completely agree with you on avoiding television news. At this point, the only reason I ever tune in is to get an update on what narrative is being pushed.

    I definitely plan on giving at least my initial impressions of these new programs. I was able to catch the premier of Agent Carter, last night. I enjoyed it, but I'll save any further thoughts for a longer write up.

    ReplyDelete